As you might be aware that the United States of America is all set to host 2 of the world’s biggest sporting events in 2026 and 2028 respectively, now they are exploring to have a 3rd one in between these years or at 2031 for Rugby World Cup. The feasibility study will be started soon to make use of this time in the best suitable way and to determine the best-suited condition in 2027 or 2031 for USA Rugby World Cup.
What’s the plan and intention behind it?
On Thursday, World Rugby has announced a single process for both men’s world cup as well as the 2025 and 2029 women’s world cups. As per CEO Brett Gosper’s (World Rugby) statement, providing the bidding option for both the events at the same time will allow them for selecting a well-established country and the other country would be where they can grow the game.
Will it work?
As per the plans and expectations, the process has worked well the last time it has been used in 2015 and 2019, England hosted the event in 2015 and 4 years later it has been hosted by Japan.
When will the bids start?
From Feb 2022, Prospective nations will get screened and be able to start the bidding for hosting the games. After three months, the World Rugby is expecting to close the process, that is by May 2022 they will announce the finalists.
Some amazing facts about Rugby:
- France will host the 2023 World Cup for the 2nd time in the last 16 years.
- The US is going to host the soccer World Cup in 2026 and Los Angeles Summer Games in 2028, and if they get a chance to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup, it will a cheery on the cake for them.
- If the USA gets this chance, The tournament will have to be shifted in Aug and September that year, as the usual months (Sept and Oct) of the Rugby World Cup will clash will football season, which will create a huge shortfall of hosting venues.
- The USA Rugby has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in March due to years of increased training expenditure and lack of revenue, now they are looking hope to get out of it by this year-end.
- Earlier in 2019, the World Cup has happened in 12 stadiums where 20 nations have participated.
To conclude, we can only say that the USA Rugby will flourish if they win the bid for hosting the world cup in 2027 or ’31 else it will be really difficult for them to come out of bankruptcy and play it again as a nation.
For more exciting news, please stay tuned with us and stay safe at your homes.